What is Hot Yoga?
What is Hot Yoga?
Hot Yoga is yoga in a heat-controlled room. Hot yoga at Function Well is practiced in a studio heated to 35 degrees. Turning up the heat in yoga offers a wide variety of benefits for both your body and mind, including:
- Increased Flexibility: The heat in the room can help warm up your muscles, making them more pliable and allowing you to achieve deeper stretches and greater flexibility.
- Improved Circulation: The elevated room temperature can enhance blood flow and circulation throughout your body.
- Detoxification: Sweating during hot yoga can aid in flushing out toxins from the body through the skin, promoting a sense of cleansing and rejuvenation.
- Nourished Skin: You may often have experienced a post-yoga glow due to increased sweating and blood flow to skin cells. The increased circulation provides nutrient-rich blood to the skin cells that nourish the skin.
- Stress Reduction: Like any form of yoga, hot yoga incorporates breathwork and mindfulness, which can help reduce stress and promote relaxation.
- Improved Balance and Focus: Hot yoga challenges practitioners to maintain balance and focus in a challenging environment, helping to enhance concentration and mental clarity.
- Joint Health: The warmth of the room may provide relief for individuals with joint stiffness and discomfort. Practicing in a heated environment, you are less likely to feel stiff and tight.
- Increased Mind-Body Connection: The heat can bring a heightened awareness to your body and its sensations, fostering a deeper mind-body connection.
- Sense of Accomplishment: Completing a hot yoga class can leave you with a sense of accomplishment, boost confidence and self-esteem
What are the different styles on the Timetable?
Hot yoga is simply any yoga practice done in a heated room. Not all Hot Yoga classes will be the same. At Function Well we offer 3 different styles of Hot Yoga; Hot Flow, Hot Hatha and Hot Restorative.
- Hot Yoga Flow: This is a hot vinyasa style class, where you link together postures with breath. This class is energetic and more of a cardio workout than other styles.
- Hot Yoga Hatha: Movement is slowed down in this Hot Yoga class, enjoy each posture with longer holds and time to breathe into deeper flexibility, boost energy, and increase the mind-body connection.
- Hot Restorative Yoga: In our fast paced society, many of us spend our time in a ‘fight, flight or freeze’ state. Restorative yoga provides us the opportunity to slow down and develop a greater sense of balance. With the use of props such as, bolsters, blankets + blocks, you will be guided into deep relaxation and into a state of ‘rest + digest’.
Ready to sweat it out in a Hot Yoga class? Join any one of our yoga classes – all sessions are led by expert instructors, and all levels of participants are welcome in any class.
Note: It’s important to note that while hot yoga has potential benefits, it may not be suitable for everyone. Individuals with certain medical conditions e.g hypertension or those who are pregnant should consult with a healthcare professional prior to attending a class.