Sweet Potato Brownies – Gluten Free, Vegan
A healthy twist on the classic sweet, these brownies contain sweet potato which is full of vitamins and nutrients such as fibre, beta-carotene, as well as being a great source of complex carbohydrates.
They’re also gluten free, vegan and have that fudgey consistency we all love. Created by Nutritionist Caitie Davies, these are ones you want to make to surprise your friends! They won’t know about the hidden nutrition, until you tell them.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1/2 cup plant milk (almond, coconut, soy)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 2/3 GF flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- natural peanut butter (for the top)
- Preheat fan-forced oven to 180°c and line a 20cm baking pan with baking paper.
- Add plant milk, vanilla essence and almond butter to the sweet potato and mix and well combined. There may be a few lumps from mashing. If you don’t like this, use a stick blender until smooth.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, cocoa, sugar and baking powder and mix to remove lumps. Add the wet mix and mix well.
- Pour into the pan and spread out evenly. Add spoonfuls of peanut butter evenly on the brownie mixture, and with a skewer, swirl around to create a pattern.
- Bake for 20-25 mins before removing to cool. Cut into squares and serve! Makes 12 squares