San Choy Bau is like the incredibly tasty and healthy low-carb taco. They are perfect as a delicious entree or a super light main.
The lettuce cups, celery, and water chestnuts add crunch, and they also replace any unnecessary refined carrier-carbohydrates (tortillas and bread, we’re sorry, we still love you) with fibre, water, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Water chestnuts are especially rich in an antioxidant called ferulic acid.
We have used our Organic Chicken Bone Broth to add extra flavour and nutrition to this dish. Our Chicken Bone Broth contains Nutritional Yeast which provides a hit of B vitamins and a nutty savoury taste which compliments all the other flavours. The sesame oil and seeds provide a source of fats and sesame seeds are a particularly good source of Calcium, Iron and Magnesium.
2tbsp Nutra Organics Chicken Bone Broth Homestyle Original
1/2 cup brown basmati rice
1/2 cup raw cashews
2 tsp sesame oil
5 cm piece ginger, julienned
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
500g chicken mince
½ cup Chinese cooking wine
¼ cup water
¼ cup oyster sauce
220g can water chestnuts, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, shredded
1 carrot, julienned
½ red capsicum, sliced
½ yellow capsicum, sliced
½ cup small broccoli florets
8 lettuce leaves
2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
Mint leaves, to serve
Bean Sprouts, to serve
Soy sauce, to serve
Lime wedges, to serve
1. Cook brown basmati rice to packet instructions, adding your Chicken Bone Broth in with the water.
2. Heat sesame oil in a large wok over high heat. Add the ginger, garlic and chilli and cook for 2-3 minutes, until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove and set aside on a clean tea towel.
3. Add the chicken mince to your wok and cook for 3-4 minutes, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon. Cook until golden brown.
4. Add the cooking wine, water and oyster sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes or until liquid has reduced slightly. Stir through the cooked brown basmati rice and water chestnut.
5. In a dry pan, roast cashews until lovely and golden.
6. Divide the chicken mixture between the lettuce cups. Top with zucchini, carrot, capsicum, celery, roasted cashews, mint leaves, bean sprouts, and the ginger mixture. Serve with sesame seeds and soy sauce.