MEXICAN SPICE SHREDDED BEEF
- 1.5 kg beef skirt steak
- 300ml tomato purée or passata
- Good pinch salt & pepper
- 3 cups stock, I used chicken bone broth
- 2-3 tablespoons spice mix (see below)
- Fresh coriander, optional
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 150C.
- Add the tomato purée, stock & spice mix to your crockpot (or slow cooker) and mix well.
- Add in the skirt steak, stir to coat, pop the lid on & into the oven.
- Cook with the lid on for 2 hours, then remove the lid, give it a stir, pull apart the meat a little & pop it back in the oven with the lid off for a further 2 hours to allow the sauce to thicken. (If you are doing this in the slow cooker, just pop it on low for 6-8 hours. The sauce won’t thicken quite as much but it will still taste awesome).
- Remove from oven, shred the beef & allow to stand in the sauce until you are ready to serve.
Layered on top of roasted eggplant with a baby tomato & guacamole topping and lots of fresh coriander. An organic sour cream or natural yoghurt would be awesome drizzled on top too.